Saturday, January 30, 2010

My second attempt at quilting

This is the second and only other quilt I have finished. I do have a stash of UFO's hiding in a trunk, where I stuffed them after I decided I was crap at quilting.
The pattern for this quilt came from an Australian published book
 " Spectacular Scraps - A simple approach to stunning quilts" by Judy Hooworth and Margaret Rolfe.  This was the first time I had attempted to separate colors into lights darks etc.  Lulu and Bailey had to test out the quilts as soon as I took them out to photograph them.  This is Lulu's backside as she is testing out the quilt.

Looking at my quilts after having them hiding away in a cupboard, and doing some searching on lots of blogs and the net, I think I will try and resurrect my quilting abilities and try again.

A corner detail

I had never attempted machine quilting before, and was very nervous in trying it. I did think about sending it off to someone to quilt, but I couldn't find anyone who could recommend a quilter, so I practiced a bit on some scraps and then found a geometric pattern for the outside border, which to me at the time seemed a whole lot easier than stippling. I was absolutely petrified of stuffing the stippling up, especially as I had spent that long in putting the quilt together.  It wasn't as bad as I thought, but I still think my next quilt will be sent off for a professional quilting finish. 




Sorry about the shadows, but I couldn't find a wide enough area to place the quilt so that it was all in the sun.

Unfortunately I made this quilt when my house was filled with aubergine and red, it is now neutrals, whites, creams, and duck egg blue so there is nowhere in the house this can or will look good, so I think it will go back to the cupboard.  I also have very little wall space, the walls are filled with windows and doorways which is great for the views, breeze etc, but lousy for hanging anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.