Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni

We often have vegetarian meals here, and I always try to cook healthy options, regularly using Weight Watchers recipes. This one has been adapted from WW Family Faves Cook Book,  Ricotta and Spinach Pasta Shells.
Not the best photo, as I almost forgot, and once it is served on the plate it isn't photogenic.


This is a generous serve for 2 people

INGREDIENTS

cannelloni shells
1/3 cup shallots diced
1 clove garlic, minced
english spinach
225g ricotta, I use the brand, Pantalica, smooth light ( I highly recommend this particular one as it is really creamy and very smooth, and doesn't have that icky texture of some of the other ricottas)
1 cup bottled tomato pasta sauce
1/4 cup plus another 1/2 cup stock ( I use chicken stock, which technically isn't vegetarian)
provolone or mozzarella cheese thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 200C.
Heat a pan and add 1/4 cup of stock, cook the shallots until soft, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Make sure most of the stock has evaporated. Chop spinach and add to onion and cook until just wilted. There should be very little, if any, liquid in the pan.
Combine spinach and onion mixture with ricotta in a bowl. Place it in a plastic bag and snip off the corner so that you can pipe into the cannelloni tubes. Fill the cannelloni with the mixture. This amount filled 8 tubes.
Place the cannelloni in a greased shallow ovenproof dish. In a pan combine the pasta sauce and stock. Bring to the boil. Pour the sauce over the cannelloni, cover and bake for 30 mins. Remove cover and place cheese over the cannelloni and cook for a further 5 minutes until melted and bubbling.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, You convinced me .

    I'm making this for dinner tomorrow night. And where the hell were you with your fancy schmanzy recipes when I was doing Meatless Mondays ?

    It looks great on the plate by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going meatless for a bit again this spring....shay saying "where the hell were you" still cracks me up, every time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.