Monday, May 30, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Adapted from Ina Garten's Chicken Pot Pie.
This one was excellent, I'm not going to write out the recipe as I didn't write down the quantities that I used, sorry, but you should be able to adapt it to how you like as it's pretty straight forward. If you click the link above it will take you straight to Ina's recipe.

Ina makes huge serves and uses a lot of salt and butter so I reduce these. (for instance approx 2 tblspns butter instead of 12)

I would use left over steamed, roast or BBQ chicken. I had steamed chicken breasts left over in the fridge, I used those instead of roasting them especially for this dish.

I cooked diced carrot for about 5 mins instead of 2, and I added corn kernels after approx 3 mins as I had some fresh corn cobs in the fridge. I didn't add the extra onions either.

I used ready rolled puff pastry sheets/squares instead of making my own. I'm lazy and I had some pastry in the freezer. Each sheet was big enough to cut two circles for the size ramekin I used. So two sheets was more than enough for 4 ramekins.  Next time I'll also cook the left over pieces of pastry, as every one wanted more!

I only used one chicken bouillon/stock cube and didn't add any extra salt. We are trying to reduce our sodium intake. So salt to taste if you like salt.

I din't add cream as I didn't have any,  I added a dash of milk and a large spoonful of sour cream.

I also found that it only needed to cook for 40 mins not 1 hour so check the pies after 35 mins to see how they are browning.

In a nutshell, it's a great recipe that you can adjust and play around with to cater for your family or friends.  It's easy and tastes fabulous, lots of flavour.




9 comments:

  1. You know, this is one of those things I've seen around for a while and drooled over, but never gotten around to making. I really need to pull my finger out, they look superb. And really kid friendly too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!

    This looks so good. I think it may have to go on my menu rotation for next week....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried a pot pie. Looks and sounds yummy. May have to see if My Guy will take a stab at it (Yes I can cook, but he's better. Plus he actually likes to cook).

    ReplyDelete
  4. you didn't!!!!!

    I've seen her make this and it looks fabulous. I love the individual servings.

    thanks so much for trying this and telling us all about it.

    Also, love the new header - and I love the new font, it's much easier to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummo! Looks delicious, will have to give this a whirl, I think my fussy kids would enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy Marg! I love any type of pie and this one looks delish! love your new blog look!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delish! I'm off flour just now so no puff pastry for me, but it sure looks perfectly browned, flaky and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm yum! I'd cook that for my breakfast if I had any of the ingredients. I'll have to substitute the chicken for toast and the pastry for vegemite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy with that golden pastry, mmmmm I can almost taste it :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.