Thursday, March 18, 2010

View from my window and a recipe




This is the view from my sewing machine, it is currently sitting next to the dining table, as I have nowhere else to put it.  At least I have a fabulous view to look out to when I look up. What looks like a couple of grotty patches on the window on the top photo to the left of the hill is actually bunches of leaves on the eucalyptus tree. The hammock is tempting sometimes!!




I made Gnocchi Florentine Bake for my girlfriend J for lunch last week. I found the recipe on Taste.com.au, it is here. I have a zillion cookbooks, and as I have so many I can't be bothered to search through them to find a recipe...go figure!!! I always end up looking on Taste.

I modified it a bit, as a number of people had commented that the yoghurt was too strong in it. I also halved the recipe which would have served 3 light eaters for lunch. So here is my version.

Gnocchi Florentine Bake       serves 8..........................  I think it would serve 6 

1 tblspn oil
1 large red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed, ( I have taken to using Gourmet Garden garlic in a tube, as I am sick of getting crappy imported garlic from the supermarket, or the Russian garlic from the farmers market This seems to be pretty good to use when you are cooking as it doesn't have that yucky vinegary flavour that a lot of processed garlic has, and it's made locally here.)
200g (7oz) prosciutto, chopped
1 bunch spinach, (I used frozen and it was fine but normally I would use fresh)
1kg  (2.2lbs) potato gnocchi
1 1/2 cups greek yoghurt
1 1/2 cups smooth ricotta
125g  (4.5oz)  cheese ( it is supposed to have bocconcini but I didn't have any, either way it would be great)
50g (2oz) parmesan cheese, finely grated

Preheat oven to 220C (430F)
Heat oil in large non stick pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 mins or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add prosciutto and cook for 3 mins. Remove from heat.

Place spinach in a freezer bag and twist top to seal, microwave on high for 1 to 2 mins or until just wilted, add to the prosciutto and onion mixture.  Or you could just chop finely and add to the pan after you have cooked the onion and prosciutto, and cook until wilted.  Combine yoghurt and ricotta in bowl.

Meanwhile, cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until gnocchi floats to the surface. Drain. Spoon half the gnocchi into an 8 cup capacity baking dish. Top with half the spinach mixture and half the yoghurt and ricotta mixture. Repeat layers. Top with combined cheeses or bocconcini and then parmesan. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 mins or until golden.  Serve with a salad.


Note: I had some left over and tried it the next day, the gnocchi had hardened and were like bullets, so I don't recommend saving it for later.

I made it again tonight.


2 comments:

  1. Yum it looks so good. My hubby is so picky, it's hard to find new recipes. thank you.
    LOve,Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely view that you have while you are sewing. I don't think that I would move my machine! The dinner looks great also, I think that it will be on next weeks menu!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.