Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thai Chicken Salad



I haven't posted a recipe in ages. This is adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe so it's pretty healthy and really tasty.  As usual feel free to play around with it. As it's a WW recipe the servings are small, you may want to increase the amounts.

Serves 4

1 tspn of macadamia oil
2 tspns of sesame oil
1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 piece of lemongrass finely chopped
400g chicken breast very finely chopped (minced/ground is fine)
3 spring onions finely chopped
1 can water chestnuts chopped
2 tblspns fish sauce
2 tblspns lime juice
1 tblspn brown or palm sugar
2 tblspns finely chopped mint
2 tblspns choppped coriander
1 tblspn Thai Basil
4 well shaped iceberg lettuce leaves
1 large carrot peeled and grated
1 small Lebanese cucumber, peeled and finely diced
2 tbspns coriander leaves, extra.


Heat oil in a large non stick frypan or wok. Add the onion, chilli and lemongrass and stir fry over medium heat for 2-3 mins or until the onion is soft.

Add the chicken and stir fry until the chicken is cooked through. Add the spring onions, water chestnuts, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, mint, coriander and Thai basil. Cook for 1 minute.

Place the lettuce leaves on 4 serving plates and divide the grated carrot between each plate and place on the lettuce leaves. Pile the chicken on top of the carrot, and top each serving with dice cucumber and coriander leaves.
Serve immediately.


My variation:
This time I used Rainbow Salad which is a prepackaged julienned mix of raw beetroot, carrot and broccoli stems, as I had it on hand and didn't have any cucumber. I also didn't have any Thai Basil so I just used the mint and coriander. I loathe cutting up chillies so I use Conimex Sambal Oelek in a jar, which is a south east Asian hot chilli paste. It looks more like minced chillies than paste.





P.S. If you don't like using sharp knives, you could use the Rainbow Salad, omit the water chestnuts and use chicken mince, then you could get away with only having to cut up the herbs, that might be safer for some people!



4 comments:

  1. Yummo. There is a lot of work in it, which is why I love ordering Thai salads whenever I'm eating out. Let someone else do all the work! I love the coriander in this, such a fresh flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Fish sauce and coriander! MMmmmmm mmm
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks very fresh and tasty (and by all accounts is also healthy -I really will have to adapt it so it's not quite so good for you)

    I'll have to get Mr. P to make it up since he's hidden all the knives round here ...I cant help it if Im accident prone.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.