Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Prawn (Shrimp) Lime and Lemongrass Risotto

This is a huge favourite in our household and also with my friends. It is adapted from the Marie Claire style series - "Supper", by Jody Vassallo.



Prawn, Lime and Lemongrass Risotto

1kg (2lb) prawns (shrimps) ......(I use frozen raw prawns, which I defrost by placing in a bowl cover with cold water, add some salt and sit on the bench or in the microwave until they are defrosted, depending on how hot it is and whether the cats are prowling)
1.5 litres chicken stock (just over 3 pints)
30g butter
dash of olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
2 tblspns finely chopped lemongrass
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
2 cups arborio rice
1 tblspn fish sauce

Peel and devein the prawns, if you are using frozen raw, you shouldn't need to do this step.
Chop prawns, you can leave some whole if you wish.
Heat butter and oil in a pan, add garlic, chili, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves and cook over medium heat for 3 mins, or until lemongrass is fragrant.
Add rice and cook, stirring for a minute to coat the rice.
Add a ladleful of stock, stirring until the stock is almost all absorbed before adding another ladleful. Continue stirring and adding stock for approx 15 mins.
Add the prawns and cook for a further 5 mins.
Stir in the fish sauce.
Garnish.

PS You can omit the butter and oil at the beginning and just heat the herbs in some of the stock, before adding the rice, then it is super low fat.

PPS I usually only make it for the two of us so I reduce the quantities and wing it.

PPPS For the two of us I only use about 500mls of Campbells Chicken stock and top up with water.

PPPPS You can use fish stock instead of chicken stock, I just don't like fish stock (too fishy!!!!)

PPPPPS This looks quite soupy, I sometimes make it more wet than it theoretically should be. It is all about personal preference.

3 comments:

  1. Ok...this is being book marked to try . Looks like a great winter meal to me.

    And those flavours! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I will have to add it to my list of recipes to try.

    I have to ask, why not use butter. Don't you know that everything is better with butter? Julia Childs says it and I totally agree. I am a butter freak (I am talking about real, high calorie, high fat butter!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, I lurve butter, and don't get me started on margarine, eeeewww. However sometimes, if you feel the need to go low fat, it can be done with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.