Friday, April 9, 2010

Almost a year



I just realized it is almost one year ago that I started blogging. The person who showed me what blogging is all about and helped me start on this journey is no longer my friend, for a very good reason.  Has this happened to you? Do you have friends who have fallen by the wayside?

Do you receive chain emails  telling you how friends come into your life and go out of your life for a reason?  I have received quite a few of those over the the last few years, at least they are better than the -if you don't send this on to 300 people, you will  lose all your money, get sick, the plague or locusts will come etc.

I have a lot of very dear friends, some who I have known for many many years, as far back as primary school.  Over the years I have found that you sometimes grow apart, move away, take different life paths.  I have moved many many times in my life, I'm an ex army wife.  I have lived in 3 different countries, many different places, but all through that time, even though I have temporarily lost contact with dear friends, or we have been too busy with our own lives to ring or write,  when we find each other again, we have always picked up where we left off, as though it was only yesterday we were last in contact. (Sorry about the long sentence, hope you managed to take a breath.)  I think it is a special friend that can understand that they are still in your heart, even though you don't keep in contact as much as you should.

I have lost very few friends along the way and it's funny, I don't miss any of them. They came into my life for a reason, I think,  this one to help me on the road to blogging to show me that the friends I still have are true friends,  that I should cherish the friendships that I have, that friendship goes much deeper than the superficial stuff of life. Life is not a competition, it doesn't matter what you have, it is how you use it.

Anyway enough of this introspective stuff. I am happy happy happy coz I have lovely lovely friends I have had for many years, and all the new friends I have found since starting this blog.  If it wasn't for "she who shall remain nameless" I wouldn't have found you at all.

I'll drink to that, and for Mrs QIMP and the sixth food group, a Tim Tam or two and some Nanaimo bars.


Cheers!!!!!

I am glad they photoshopped my legs in this portrait.




5 comments:

  1. This is such a great post (and not just because I'm mentioned in it ! )

    I spring cleaned my friends last year. Sometimes you just have to take stock of what's working and what isn't and let some things , and people, go.

    For me realising that I wasn't feeling the loss of those friendships once I didnt have them anymore confirmed that I'd made the right decision to move on.

    I feel that opened up other opportunities in my life as well.

    And HUGE congratulations on your blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woow... Marg, sounds to me, that you have your life all sorted...
    Yes I believe that friends come into our life for a reason & some just pass through others are there for the long haul & become very precious to our life & some others pass through a few times but are not stayers.
    I shifted some years ago after living a whole lifetime in one town & found that many of 'who I' thought were close friends turned out to be just mere aquaintances which was a surprise to me at the time but I'm OK with that... that move proved to me who my true friends were... I suppose the only negative thing I got out of it was the feeling of being used by so many for so many years... in the long run that was 'me' who let it happen...
    Great post...
    Happy Bloganniversary...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet girlfriend I havnt heard from you for awhile so I thought I'd stop by (WOW) I hear ya!!!!!!!!!!
    I am having my first blog give away and want you to be in it if you'd like.
    Take good care.
    Love ya,Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    wholeheartly agree. We meet so many people over the years, in my case mainly through working for big companies and we become really close but then drift apart.
    I read something a while ago that said until the modern era, most people would only have 4 or 5 close friends their whole lives. They would only be exposed to a fraction of the number of people we are now.
    Therefore it stands to reason we can't keep the friends we make for life, we couldn't maintain all those relationships we make.
    The main thing is to cherish the time you have with them and try and feel lucky to have had it, not regret what isn't there now. (don't know if that made any sense?)

    cheers
    Shev

    ps. there isn't anything wrong with a bit of navel gazing now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally relate to this! Moving around so much as a child I was never in a school long enough to make and keep long lasting friends.. I know alot of people but only a few that are friends.. And some are the ones that you may see once a year but totally when you catch up seems just like yesterday that you saw them.. And yes people come into your life for a reason and exit for a reason... I decided along time ago to have abit of a friend clean out and just keep the good ones.. Some that were a negative influence had to go!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.