Meatballs In Mushroom Sauce
25g (1oz) butter
1 onion, finely chopped
675g (1.5lb) minced (ground) beef or lamb
50g (2oz) breadcumbs
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp worcestershire sauce - I always add a bit more
1 tsp tomato puree, tonight I added a tsp and a bit of some marinara sauce that I had left over in the fridge
pinch of dry mustard, or 1 tspn mustard
salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 tblspn plain flour
2 tblspn oil
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
5 tblspn water
100g (4oz) button mushrooms, sliced
1. Melt the butter in a large bowl for 1min on 100% setting, add the onion, cover and cook for 2-3 mins or until tender.
2. Add the meat, breadcrumbs, oregano, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, mustard and seasoning. Mix well together and then stir in the egg until combined.
3. Shape the mixture into 18 balls and toss in the flour. Place the oil in a large shallow dish and heat for 1 min on high. Carefully add the meatballs in a single layer and turn in the hot oil. Cook uncovered on high for 4-5 mins until brown, turning half way through.
4. Place the meatballs into a casserole dish. Place soup, water and mushrooms into the first dish and mix together. Heat for 2-3 mins and stir well. Pour over the meatballs.
5. Reduce to 50% setting and cook for 35-40 mins. Stir or turn the meatballs half way through.
Serve with pasta or crusty bread.
Now if you want to cook it without the microwave.
Heat butter in pan, sweat onions.
Combine the ingredients as above.
Heat oil in frypan/skillet add meatballs and brown, turning to brown other side. I usually flatten mine slightly and just brown top and bottom.
Remove meatballs from the pan and add them to the casserole dish in one layer.
Add soup, water and mushrooms to the frypan, heat until simmering.
Pour over meatballs and cook uncovered in moderate oven for 35-40 mins.
Edited to add: Bitchypoo says the photo above looks like one of the cats crapped on the plate......nice and now I have put you off making it, I love her so much.................