Today I spent all day trying to finish the quilt. I am so slow. Apart from having to do some slight alterations on the go and unpicking a whole heap of hand sewing as I placed the squares in the wrong spot, I managed to finish quilting, and cut out the binding and sew it on, now all I need to do is hand sew the binding to the back and it is finished. I had my trusty helper hold it up for me when she arrived home after school.
I used a variegated thread on the back and taupe on the front to quilt it. It is quilted in the ditch and around the hearts. The 3 squares on the back were hand sewn on after quilting. I originally wanted to do a strip of squares across the back but as the quilt was to be quilted as you go, I thought it would be way too hard for me to match up the squares on the front and the back. Anyway when I was unpicking one of my beautifully crappily - is that a word- sewn quilting lines, I put the unpicker thingy right through the fabric on the back of the quilt. I have never ever ever done that before in my entire life, you can imagine the swear words as it happened. That is why there are now 3 squares on the back, they are straight even though it doesn't look like it in the photo, they are there to cover my nice little slit in the fabric. So shhhhh don't tell anyone, it's a secret! I am hoping it looks like a great design idea!!!!!