Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Caramel Banana Cake

Today was another rainy day in paradise. A day for staying at home and cooking, quilting, crocheting.

I had a couple of bananas that were very over ripe so pulled out the trusty Australian Women's Weekly Cakes and Slices Cookbook. The recipe is Caramel Banana Cake and it is scrumptious.



Caramel Banana Cake
180deg oven (350F)

125g butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 tspn bicarbonate of soda
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tblspn milk

Grease a 14cm x 21cm loaf pan. (approx 5 1/2" x 8") I think!

Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat until combined.
Transfer mixture to a large bowl, stir in banana. Stir in half the sifted dry ingredients with half the combined sour cream and milk then stir in remaining dry ingredients and sour cream mixture. Stir until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour, stand 5 mins before turning on to wire rack to cool. When cold, spread with icing.

Caramel Icing

60g butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tblspns sour cream
1 1/2 cups icing sugar

Melt butter and sugar in saucepan, stir constantly over heat without boiling for 2 mins. Add sour cream, bring to the boil, remove from heat, stir in sifted icing sugar.

Keeping time for cake 4 days.


I used gluten free plain flour and baking powder in this cake, just to try it, it didn't rise as much as "normal" flour, but it was still really yummy.

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering just looking at that yummy cake. I will make it for sure. Thanks for Sharing.
    Love,Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Slide that cake and a glass of milk my way and I'll be all set. Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.