Monday, October 6, 2014

Churn Dash

It's been a beautiful long weekend here. The weather has been perfect, not too hot, not too humid and lots of sunshine, and what did I do? I spent most of the weekend sewing.  You gotta do what you gotta do when your sewing mojo comes back. I did go out and enjoy the sunshine in between sewing stints.


I procrastinated for ages on what to do for the last border of the medallion quilt I have been working on since the beginning of the year. The orange peel blocks were finished and I don't think I showed a photo of them once they were added.
 My quilt holder upper isn't here so it's floor shots for now.

The original plan was for churn dash blocks. As usual, my unwillingness to commit kicked in and I spent ages trawling through books and the internet looking for alternate block ideas. I drove Shay insane, coming up with the perfect block then ditching the idea.  I even made a couple of churn dash blocks in the meantime to see whether they would work. Didn't think much of them at the time. Eventually it was just too hard, I needed to make 40 x 6inch blocks, and I already had 2 churn dash blocks, so I took the easy option and went with it.


40 blocks = 160 HST's that needed to be sewn, cut and trimmed. My Bloc Loc HST ruler came to the rescue, and if it wasn't for that ruler, I would have given up.

Twelve made, only 28 to go!

28 blocks finished.

I'm almost at the end now, I have 12 blocks left to sew.

These are the last 6, laid out on an old cutting board covered with batting,  I can take blocks to the sewing machine to sew, and not sew them in the wrong order. It's been very handy, my stuff up rate has been reduced considerably.

Meanwhile my trusty assistant found a nice place for a cat nap or two.




12 comments:

  1. I guess there will be a catnap in sight for you too after completing all those pretty blocks! I am glad you showed the whole quilt with the orange peel blocks added- it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marg, that is the most beautiful quilt!!! I just love it! A border of churn dash blocks is going to look brilliant! ! I'm surprised your trusty assistant isn't trying to sit on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking sooooo good Marg! Those borders just pull all the parts and colours in together so well. I reckon the churn dash is going to look great too, although I understand the pain of indecision. Sometimes it's just all too hard and one needs to have a vodka and a good lie down. The answer usually comes to me after that x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous - i really love those little clam shells in the corners of the centre block. I may have to steal that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be a super lovely quilt! I love the orange peel blocks and I can't wait to see the churn dash blocks added. Is it your own design? Glad to hear that your sewing mojo is back. I guess it helps to have a trusted assistant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously love your medallion. It is going to be an amazing finish. And I owe you about a million emails. Just need to sit still long enough to reply. Miss our chats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking absolutely fabulous there with all those churn dash blocks Ms. Sunshine. Im eternally grateful you made a decision and stuck with it. You picked well !

    ReplyDelete
  8. That medallion quilt is gorgeous and will be even more so with those churn dash blocks. Hope it all comes together smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your color and fabric choices are fab! I adore churn dash blocks and these are beauts! Yeah for a lower stuff rate, lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your floor shows off the quilt quite nicely!
    The churn dash blocks are looking good -- will be fun to see it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure, driving Shay up the wall is a sport everyone should indulge in now and again ;o) Looking great though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally smitten with your medallion quilt. Think I might have the pattern around here somewhere.... might have to dig it out and 'think' about starting it. In the meantime I'll watch your beauty taking shape. Have fun.....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.