Sunday, January 29, 2012

Swap progress

I stopped procrastinating yesterday. I'm so very good at procrastinating, it's a pity there's nothing to show for it, lol.

Instead of working on Tiggly Winks, (I really don't love that quilt) and it's becoming a chore to finish, or cutting the binding for the Lily quilt (aka Floral Bouquet) I started on the two swaps I'm in.

Firstly the Name Game swap. My partner is very very very very very quiet, and there's not a lot to go on but I've come up with an idea that I hope she will like.


I started with this for inspiration. An Orla Kiely design.
Name Game Swap idea


Made the background. Very pale and beige but I wanted a quiet background for the applique details to stand out.

 and will add lots of these. Love that Baby Go Cutter.
I think these are the colours she likes. I'm crossing my fingers that she will like the design.

The other swap, Mouthy Stitches, I have a really good partner, probably too good, I had stage fright at the beginning and my mind went a total blank. Next, I couldn't settle on an idea or colours, using the scatter gun approach and thinking up all sorts of ideas, not many of which I think are particularly interesting/different or what I think my partner would love.  I had some really obvious ideas, but then I can see from her flickr account that she makes/made them and I'd like to do something that I think she likes but not what she has made.

Yesterday I cut into this for a test run.



To make these teeny tiny triangles. Yes I know, I cut into fat quarters to make these!!!!!

Then sewed them together.

Playing with an idea


I really like this and I'm going to make another one because these fabrics and colours are not what my partner likes, I knew that when I started. I made this one in the Lark to see whether I could do it and because I like the fabric. I thought I might as well do something I like for a trial run. I think I'm on the right track here, it's now a waiting game for the linen I ordered 10 days ago. I can't choose which colourway from the stacks below until that arrives. I might have to tweak the fabrics as some of the prints are too large.
orange and aqua


sherbet rainbow



17 comments:

  1. Forgot what you were making as I sat here wondering if I could come wallow in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It so fun seeing your swap progress! The Orla Kelly idea is going to be fabulous!! And those little triangles are very cool!! Did you use the Go Cutter for the triangles too. I'm so tempted to get a Baby Go Cutter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I used a template and rotary cutter to cut the triangles.

      Delete
  3. Love those colourful petals , the Orla keily is great inspiration, im sure your partner will LOVE it! Tis a shame im not your partner in the mouthy stitches swap cos i do lurve that Lark! PS are these both purse/pouch swaps?

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Name Game swap is for a small quilt with partners name or blog name on it, sorry I should have clarified that in the post.

      Delete
  4. Both swaps are going to be gorgeous. Love your stack of fabrics. Can't wait to see how it will all turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, the orange and aqua is calling me - specially the first lot - you're producing some beautiful stuff here...and if your partner doesn't like it, i live in victoria and i'm in the book....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Orla Kiely inspiration! I think that must be a very difficult swap - the Name Game!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have left me wanting to see more, is that a good omen? Two swaps, you have jumped right in, Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those wee triangles are great and I love the Orla Kiely applique shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Orla Kiely and the aqua and orange, but could you tone down the black and white a bit please, it's giving me a migraine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love where you are heading with the Orla inspired appliqué - I think that will be a truly delightful quilt/project. Also love the triangle patchwork and both colourways look equally tempting. Looking forward to following your progress on these as you are coming up with some fab ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Procrastination...love it!!! The leaves are beautiful...can't wait to see what you are doing with them! Love those triangles...that will be great to...love the orange & aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the triangles ..very cute and what an innovative idea. That Orla Kiely is simply gorgeous. (It would make a brilliant cushion!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the fabrics you've picked for your swap project. Can't wait to see both swap projects come together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you have me intreagued so you'd better hurry up and show us the finished article for the Name Game swap. Love those little shapes - petals? balloons?
    Those tiny triangles !!!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanna be your swap partner!

    Only problem is I'm not getting much quilting done now, although I've got an April deadline on a baby quilt. Instead, I'm waiting to hear about a job (yes, it's difficult for me to wait AND do other things ~ I must giving waiting my near full attention), and I'm trying to learn how to market my (my dad's) book, now that the hard copy is available too. I want to quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.