Wednesday, March 12, 2014

More hexies and another block finished.


 Another finish for 2014. Originally this was going to be a big quilt, a large wall hanging, but after sewing this many 1 inch hexagons and becoming very very bored with it, it's now more the size of a large table runner.   You will find this a recurring theme with me, I don't enjoy making big quilts especially one that is very repetitive. I have a very short attention span.




The fabric and pattern is very busy, so I decided on minimal quilting. I divided the quilt into four sectors and each area is quilted in a different colour thread. I used 50wt Aurifil thread in #1147  #2479  #5002 and #5005.




 For the binding I used a Kaffe fabric which I'm really happy with as it seems to blend into each of the different colours around the quilt.

The backing


I incorporated a couple of corner hanging sleeves into the back so I can hang it on the wall.


Quilt stats
1 inch hexies
Variety of fabrics from my stash including Kaffe, AMH, Amy Butler, Sketch and more.
Binding Kaffe Roman Glass


Another Circle Game block has been finished. 

I haven't pressed it properly yet, as somebody (cough cough) may have used a Frixxion pen when tracing some of the pieces. Frixxion marks  of course disappear when you iron them. Until this is sewn into the outer ring there is no way I'm pressing it with an iron.  It has been finger pressed in the mean time.




16 comments:

  1. Check you out with your finish! Yay! I love that photo with the thread reels on it, so colourful. And well done on finding a binding that complements it all so well - no easy feet.
    Those circle game blocks kind of make my head hurt - they look so complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marg, your hexi wall hanging is really awesome!! I love the colour graduation and the setting of the hexis is very modern looking. Brave fabric choices too and they look great!!! Your circle block is fun too, looks like a little wedding ring block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great finish! I love it hanging on the wall! And that is one pretty backing! I laughed when I read what you did with your Frixxon! I had my String blocks in the freezer the other day, waiting for the lines to re-appear! Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! I love the colours and fabrics you've chosen. And your circle game block is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Marg. I am the same with piecing blocks...glad it is not just me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you lasted longer than I would with all these tiny pieces. I would struggle to make a mug rug.
    Your piece does look stunning and well worth the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fabulous wallhanging and you get to really appreciate the pattern without losing the will to live making a huge quilt. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous. I want to start a large hexie quilt - I have one in mind - but am scared I may not finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both the mini quilt/ table runner and the block are lovely. I sort of like that mini hanging landscape style too. I totally understand getting tired of making tiny hexies and I too have used that iron off pen for things that I would normally press as I go - in fact I have made that mistake more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it makes you feel any better I would have used a Frixxion pen too I'm sure. I'm always doing dumb arse crap like that.

    Both of these projects are utterly gorgeous. Sewing all those darling little hexies really paid off in the final design and your circle game block is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fab, but you and Shay need to stop with the finishes thing, people are starting to get the wrong idea ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!! And I see Aurifill also shared your post on FB. Congrats!!! YOU GO GIRL!! Keep working that magic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hexie quilt makes an outstanding table runner! I like it just the size you ended up with :o) The circle block is amazing...I need to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh WOW !!! That wall hanging quilt it A-Maz-ING ! Lots of work but so worth it. Well done. These circle blocks look soooo difficult ! Clever girl !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hexie project turned out beautifully! I love how you set the hexies together.

    One day I hope to be able to do the intricate piecing you do, the Circle Game block looks great, but I cringe when I think about having to get all those pieces to fit together.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.