Friday, December 16, 2011

Favourite Things Friday

It's late Friday evening here, and I've just finished making something with the help of BP, so this is my final favourite for 2011.
I decided at about 5.30 this evening that I'd attempt to make something for my father for Christmas.
After finding this tutorial at Ayumi's blog and seeing this idea on Oh Fransson! I thought I would make dad a First Aid bag.
First Aid bag for dad
The front
I combined the two ideas and came up with this.

AND woo hoo I actually used some of my scraps. Some of them are from charm squares I acquired about 10 years ago. I knew I'd use them for something..........eventually!! Some of the red squares are from scraps Melissa at Clothwork kindly sent me earlier in the year.

Back of the First Aid bag.
The back

First Aid bag lining
The lining, hmm, just noticed a thread on the red casing.

I love it, I hope he'll love it too. He loves bushwalking, birdwatching and the great outdoors. All it needs now is some cord to finish the drawstring closure. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

BP helped me choose the fabrics, piece the back and sewed the lining for me. I love that she wanted to help and enjoyed it. She's even started sewing up some blocks left over from her Paradise quilt to make a small quilt.

So this week, my favourite is sewing with BP and starting and finishing something that I'm really pleased with, in a couple of hours.

Linking with Shay for the final FTF for 2011. I love FTF's and have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts each week. Thanks so much Shay, looking forward to next year's.





24 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. It's so hard to make something for a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS I meant to say I've really enjoyed reading your posts this year. Finger got a bit carried away there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep know that problem too well, always too keen to hit send/publish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait til I can use child labour to speed up my sewing too, imagine how much I'll get done with four ;) How awesome that you knocked out a gift in one night, and that you could make it together, I think your dad will get a kick out of that. And very clever how you combined the two ideas into one of your own. Best of luck with the rest of your gift making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's a great bag and a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great plan for a final gift, and glad you had fun with BP :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great gift...your Dad will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea - love your use of scraps! I find it hard to make sewn stuff for blokes ( ive just made a laptop sleeve for my partner for xmas ).
    Lucky You having a new quilting companion, Great FTF! ; )

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making a great bag AND getting to sew with BP? That's a FTF that is going to be hard to match any time soon. The bag looks great. Very manly with the greens, but the bits of red to give it a little panache. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool idea!!I really love the colours you've used! It's awesome that BP is getting into sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous although I'm sure your dad won't describe it as that, hee hee! I adore all those colours and the combinations, right up my alley and the little dog is a lovely whimsical touch. How nice to have made it together, great FTF Can't believe its almost the end of the year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great gift idea. You've doubled the pleasure by sewing with BP. My daughter and I have collaborated and sewn together so I can appreciate the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great gift idea. I am sure your dad will love it especially knowing you made it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool! It looks manly and a very handy thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness...BP sewed? Are you kidding? I know how cool it was when Miss P and I shared crafty times earlier this year so whoooo hoo for you and BP.

    I love your first aid kit bag and Im sure your Dad will too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great colour selection, with the red cross contrasting so well with the greens! And a little 'bonding' with BP couldn't have hurt, could it?! I'm sure Dad will love his first aid kit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwwwww, what a fun bonding time! Your dad will love it - I didn't know he was an outdoorsman, how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like this bag, what a great idea, and it sounds like it was such a lovely time in the making too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool! - love your photo in your header. It does look like you live in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! The bag looks very manly, just the right colors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely sharing craft with your daughter, I know I get excited when my daughter wants to join in but it usually means I have to help her more than I like at the moment but it will come. She already does beading all by herself and I am sure the sewing will get to the point where we can sit together each of us and just do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great gift. I love that little puppy in the centre of the cross. What a sweet touch.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.