Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Not aiming for any gold medals (or even bronze or plastic)

You may have noticed by now that I'm a total slacker. I've done very little on the quilting front for the last couple of months. Unlike others who shall remain nameless, who are trying to be the equivalent of the teachers pet and get as many finishes as possible before the end of the year, I've preferred sitting in the naughty corner and playing up. It's been fun but not what you would call productive.
I kind of felt a teensy weensy bit guilty that I had lots of WIP's and hadn't really tried to finish any of them, and also the whole of the universe was making Christmas presents except for me. So last week, I got my A into G and made the First Aid bag for my dad. Saturday morning I went to the LQS and picked up some cord and ta dah, it's all finished.
P1060430
First Aid Bag

I've also had another go at the "OMG, what on earth was she thinking quilt".  Remember this, hideous block.

I was determined to make it work so after a bit of a re-think and some help from the  goody two shoes "teacher's pet" (hint - starts with Sh and is a four letter word) who was very helpful, even though she's trying to win the award for  the most finishes in the universe for 2011, I came up with this.
Fabric for THE quilt - Plan B
This pile sat on my dining table for a very long time, was then stuffed placed gently and lovingly into a project bag when Julie my organising fairy came to stay.
I finally pulled them out and cut all the bits.
Last week I finally started sewing the bits together.

There are another 46 of these.
P1060439
So far I've sewn up about 18 blocks.

P1060441


P1060440

Here's two, I'm really happy with these. I've still left a little of the browns in the mix but all in all I think it's much more harmonious. I also didn't choose eight of the wildest coloured and patterned prints to put in a block together. That was a smart move.


Also, should I say,

minor miracle,

I finished another WIP, the first hexagons I attempted and was going to make into a cushion, which would probably never be used, so made it into a mini quilt to hang on the wall.
Hexagon mini quilt finished

It looks really wonky, especially the first border, it's not. In fact the first border is straight. Next time I should probably flatten it out before I snap some pics.
It's made with some scraps of Rural Jardin left over from the quilt I made earlier this year. A really yummy stripe that I had in my stash, unfortunately I only had a fat quarter and have no idea what it is. I had to raid my jelly roll of Rouenneries that I have been saving, for the binding. It matched perfectly the two Rural Jardin charm squares that I could use for the corners, win!  The backing is a fat quarter of Hometown left over from the Urban Stars quilt.
I've hand quilted around the inner row of hexies in pale blue, which you can't see in this pic, then burgundy around the outside of the hexies. Finally another round of hand quilting in the first border.
P1060438


I used this tutorial from A Girl In Paradise blog for an idea on how to hang it using corner pockets. How could I not use it with a blog name like that!

Today the Floral Bouquet went to my other fairy friend, Fiona The Quilting Fairy. It won't be finished until next year, but that's ok, I'll just go back and sit and have a drink in the naughty corner.

18 comments:

  1. The first aid bag looks really cool.

    Like the direction you are taking the quarter square circle quilt. Like the orange with the gray, it's a unique color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to me it seems like you are having some fun. I love those circles and the wall hanging is wonderful. I am certain your dad will love the first aid bag and it is a great idea for a present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a great feeling when you get something completed, isn't it? Great work.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that hexagon wall hanging, and the circles make me want to go start pulling from my stash and doing just a few. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! Well done on your finishes! The little red cross bag is so cute!! Your hexi wall hanging is so pretty and your circles are awesome colours and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have achieved more than me, what are you complaining about girl! I love the circles now, the slight change in colour palette really worked.

    And I know what you mean about little miss teachers pet... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, I'm frantically making Christmas pressies (it's a long story but I have to make them), but other than that, I'm not seeing that many finishes for me this year lol Now there is a Finish Along at Quilter In The Gap in the new year, should you feel you need therapy in this area ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the hexagon mini! That's a great finish! Don't be so hard on yourself! It's not a race! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I hate those goody goody types. Classic over achievers. Who were you referring to?

    Looks like you haven't really been a slacker. Love that first aid kit. The cushion turned out beautifully and I love how that circles quilt is coming along.

    Maybe you secretly wanna be a super sewer too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs P, she's a crazy sewing lady but she has been turning out some awesome, beautiful quilts lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like the Drunkard's Path blocks in those colours, and the hexie mini looks very sophisticated...oooh!
    Have a great Christmas Marg - we are set to swelter here in 15 degrees..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new colour combo and what you've done so far is lookin' good!!
    You're not alone in the naughty corner but hope you have a good book to read while you're there... like I have !!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Aid Bag came out wonderfully! I love the hexie wall-hanging! And your re-worked color scheme on the Drunkard's Path is terrific!

    Yeah, Ms. Goody Two-Shoes..., what a show-off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the bag. It's hard to keep up with others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the first aid bag, perfect gift......
    I love the new blocks, your colour choices are always amazing! I think I might join you in the naughty corner for a drink.....Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a lot of productivity for the naughty corner to me! Love where you are going with those circles in oranges and greys - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woah! You have been busy! Inspiring. M xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coming in late but nice work there. Look at you getting all harmonious in your colour matchings, who'd have thought? Your choices of orange are very in fashion with the Panatone colour of the year being Tangerine.
    Hope you had a wonder Christmas and wishing you the best for 2012, whatever it brings. x x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.