Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ta dah!

I've been making the most of some quiet time between Boxing Day and New Years Eve.

Initial layout on my design table!!!

I've finished another quilt top. I've ordered some flannel for the backing, so I won't be able to do any more with this until it arrives.


Quilt top finished

I was so worried about how this would look, hoping it wouldn't be too busy. I shouldn't have doubted myself, I think it turned out great. I would, wouldn't I! I did have a little hiccup at the beginning, you can read about it here, however it was all sorted with help from the lovely Shay.
This is destined as a house warming gift for friends, I'm pretty sure they don't read my blog. I wanted to make something that wasn't too feminine that they could use on the sofa in the living room. Her favourite colour is orange, specifically burnt orange. 
There are lots of different fabrics in this quilt top. Including Hope Valley, Castle Peeps, Hometown, Zen Garden, Anna Maria Horner, Kaffe, Lakehouse, batiks, a 30s repro, text fabric, spots, checks and so many more. This is my idea of scrappy, I just can't do random scrappy it has to be controlled, so the circles are either a shade of orange or cream and the background is either light through to dark grey or an occasional brown, sometimes with a hint of colour.
Almost final selection, I took out some of the darker purple/greys and the lighter green/greys


I used the Raw Edge Circle tutorial by Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew.

This is the second time I've used this pattern. I love it and I'm sure I'll use it again.
P1050298
Strawberries and Champagne, my first Raw Edge Circle Quilt



20 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic Marg, what a lovely housewarming gift! - lucky recipients!

    Happy New Year!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fab, I'm sure your friends will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your circle quilts are wonderful! I love orange too! I should use it more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous! I love scrap quilts with a limited color palette. It seems to me like you can appreciate the fabrics more without being overwhelmed by too many colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out beautifully. The orange really shines in that setting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just fabulous...love both versions of this quilt ...it will be a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilts. That orange is gorgeous and so eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome Marg, for a gal that dosen't do scrappy, its fab. Merry Chrismas and all that Jazz. too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...you have been productive...the quilt looks great....I too have been playing with orange fabrics...but I haven't actually taken a stitch yet...hoping to do that tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is pretty darn awesome. The pattern looks really dramatic in those colours, I love it. Definitely will look good on your friends' couch, centre stage getting the attention it deserves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great, I love how the colour work now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marg -- This quilt is just stunning! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colour combination turned out wonderful. I'm sure they'll love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. The burnt oranges are yummy! I like a controlled scrappy too. I've tried to do random and it just ends up that I sort things into groups anyway! Your friends will be very lucky to have this charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh I really LOVE that one....burnt orange is one of my favourite colours too! I really like how the calming the circles are, some quilts just seem to angular to me. Your friends will love it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely Marg - has a very modern feel to it - such a super house warming gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is coming along really well. I love the colours you've chosen for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All I can say is WOW! That is a group of colors I would have never put together. In fact, the thought of it frightens me. Yet this is totally fabulous! Way to go! Lucky friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning Marg, what a wonderful way to finish 2011. Your colour sense is a wonderful gift, one I'm very envious of!
    Happy New Year, all the best for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mar,

    I'm new to blogging so please bare with me. I was looking for someone to make a double sized quilt for my son almost exactly like your orange and grey/gray circle quilt, and was hoping you would be willing to discuss making one for me? I know I shouldn't put my email address on here, but in case you don't do custom orders perhaps another willing blogger would see this and email me. Please contact me at neatsie74@hotmail.com

    Best regards,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.