Sunday, December 4, 2011

Urban Stars

Urban Stars
I started the HST quilt in August this year.
I wanted to try out my Baby Go cutter and decided to try cutting half square triangles for a quilt.

I change my cushions/pillows in my living area nearly as often as I change my hair colour. Maybe not quite that often but I think a change is as good as a holiday.  I like having a neutral living area so that I can change my cushions and the look for minimal cost and play out all my colour fantasies. I found some really nice cushions/pillows at a local store that went very nicely with some I already had.  I ordered a fat quarter bundle of Hometown, and then rummaged through my very significant (according to Shay) stash to find some co-ordinating fabrics.
After playing with Quilt Pro I finally fluked working out how to use it and came up with a repeating star using half square triangles. Something nice and easy that wouldn't tax my brain.
First block

I'm over the moon with how this finished up. I love the colours and the subtle star pattern.
HST quilt top finished
When I posted the photos on Flickr there were some great ideas suggested for a name, which I used to help me come up with Urban Star.  I love the urban edginess of the colour palette and the fabrics I've chosen. I especially love text fabric and there are quite a few used in this quilt. The overall look kind of reminds me of city buildings both modern glass and steel and old sandstone and marble.
Close up of "organic" quilting!!!!
As usual I had no idea how I was going to quilt it. I really do need to think more about the quilting in the initial design stages rather than leaving it to when it needs to be quilted.  I didn't want to quilt it by following the diagonal lines, I really wanted to do straight line vertical quilting but was very afraid to do it in case it looked crap. I spent hours looking at quilted quilts on flickr and on blogs, but could never find anything that looked like what I wanted to do. Eventually I just went for it and I'm very very glad I did as I really like the look of the "organic" vertical lines.  Most of the quilting lines are approximately an inch from the seam lines and there are areas where the quilting lines are further apart.
Urban Stars
Back of Urban Stars
All crinkly after a spin in the machine and the tumble dryer. I threw in 4 colour catchers just in case. One came out a soft rusty brown colour, two a beige colour and one off white. Strange, but I'm pleased I used them.

Binding
The binding is Hometown City Streets in Mist, I love the soft colours in this one. I wanted the binding to be subtle and I think this fabric works really well, it's also a nice contrast to the backing fabric which is a Lecien Basics.

Pattern - my own using Sawtooth Star and sashing
Fabric - Hometown by Sweetwater plus various other fabrics from my stash. Not 100% sure what the off white was that I used as it was in my stash. I think it's a Kona solid.
Backing - Pieced using left over HST's from the front and Lecien Basics dots a Kona solid and Mist Textured Solid from Hometown.
Binding - Hometown City Streets in Mist, strips cut 2 inches wide for a narrow binding.
Machine quilted
Size - 53" x 53"

Urban Stars

My 10th finish for the year!!!!!!!!


27 comments:

  1. Oooh, great way to use Hometown. I have a layer cake of it that I'm guarding fiercely until I've worked out what I want to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect in every way. Lovely colours. The Straight lines compliment all those angles beautifully.
    Enjoy your Urban Stars

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great quilt Marg! I see it getting a lot of Flick'r love too! The star pattern is definitely there but from a distance there are also circles! Its a great design! Well done! (OOOHH , enough from me, I'm sounding like a school teacher! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marg - It's fabulous! This would totally tax my brain, even though you say it did not yours. I love the fabrics. And the name...Perfect! Happy Sunday night! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Urban Star quilt! I like the pattern within a pattern you created with the HST.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very nice! This would also make a lovely quilt for the "man in your life". You did a great job on the quilting as well. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marg - this one is just fantastic!! Love the fabrics, pattern, quilting, back, everything!! Great job. I am the same way when it comes to the quilting step - always afraid I'll mess up the design. Your straight lines on this one fit just right :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more I look at this quilt, the more I love it! The reds are perfect with the lovely greys. I love what you did with the back too :)

    The quilting is terrific too - a great quilt all the way round :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Marg! It's stunning - gorgeous pattern and the quilting is perfect for the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's so great to see this quilt finished. I just love it so much! Urban Stars is the perfect name. I'm about to do some straight line quilting, fingers crossed it'll turn out as nice as yours. 10 finishes is heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fabulous quilt - the colour combo is just perfect - and organic vertical lines are my faves too - soo easy to do and so effective - and perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this quilt so much! The fabrics and the quilting and the pattern compliment one another so well.

    Whooooooo hooooooo on the finish (and if you ever get sick of this quilt you can send it to me !)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I. LOVE. this. So gorgeous, yet understated and classy. I love everything about it, the front, the binding (the stripe is perfect) and the back - for someone who says she hates making backs you really nailed this one. It's could easily be mistaken for a front. I hope this sits in your living room for ages, it deserves a lot of lovin'. Well done Madame M!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sense of colour and style is awesome....10th finish for the year.....what an achievement give yourself a pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. By the way....just love this quilt, the colours and the design....and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I agree, I love this quilt to and no 10 finished,I am jealous. .

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great quilt - I love Hometown and you are right - the quilt is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! 10 finishes! I seem to have had a very slow year this year...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this quilt, and have enjoyed watching you make it. It is so urban, the name is prefect. Congratulations on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the quilt is beautiful! what a great 10th finish! I love the way the binding looks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning....you should be really proud. Love the colors, the pattern, the crinolines, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Urban Star quilt is just divine, Marg, and so stylish. I just love the quilting you have done - good choice - and you went with your heart. Congrats on the finishes. I have had about the same number of starts LOL. Di.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It really is a fabulous quilt! The palette is unusual ~ scrappy but heavy in neutrals with just those interesting splashes of red. Wonderful! I can see why you are so pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on the 10th finish. Urban Stars is a gorgeous quilt, the quilting does work really well with the pattern and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, 10 finishes, that is grand! I love the look of your Urban Stars--both soft and homey and yet modern and sharp. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just ran across this beautiful quilt and I am totally in love! It's absolutely beautiful! I would love to make this quilt. I am new to quilting but I think I might be able to do this block. What size are your HSTs? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.