Monday, February 11, 2013

Paper pieced block and a circle

In the last few days I found some some of my mojo and motivation to work on a couple of projects. Firstly I tackled January's paper pieced block by Katy from The Littlest Thistle. I had the devil of a time with this one. It wasn't Katy's fault at all. I just had brain fog when I was making it. I think I'll use this one as a test block and try again. Considering it's paper pieced there are some decidedly wonky lines in this block.
Untitled

The Amitie Circle Game block.  I can't believe I hadn't bothered to make this block below already. It was dead easy, although I took the liberty of making it my way and not Jenny's way in the pattern.  Instead of making templates for the strips and then hand sewing them together, I used a ruler and rotary cut the strips longer than was needed. Sewed the strips together, then made a template of the circle block from the pattern provided, and cut around it to get the circular shape, using a rotary cutter. So easy, and no stress, hmm, well almost no stress. It would have been quicker if I double checked and not cut out the strips first time around 1/2 inch too thin.
Untitled
The third strip from the right is a very light cotton voile. The fabric that was sent out each month was very varied. Generally quilting cotton but sometimes voiles or linens. I find the voiles are quite difficult to hand sew as they are "slippery". I've been avoiding using them but as this block was machine sewn I thought I should use at least one.

This block is so far out of my controlled scrappy comfort zone, I'm not in love with it. I've already chosen the fabrics for the next block and you will see that they are much more controlled.

Tonight, I'm going to be watching TV whilst working on those pesky starflowers.


14 comments:

  1. I don't see anything wrong with your paper pieced block. Once all the blocks are together, nobody will see any little "wonkyness" you think are there. Your round block is great too. Good for you to do it the easy way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing more of the paper pieced project. How big is the block? Your scrappy circle looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need an easy project to do when you aren't in the mood for all this hand sewing, circles and paper piecing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your scrappy circle and that PP block looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only I knew what "sound" a blog cheerleader would make....I would be letting out a massive cheer! Great block...I did mine as instructed, but understand why you created your own way. It looks good...some of the fabrics are a little challenging, but you have done well....can't wait to see he next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good work..love the cute house. So happy to hear you have your mojo back

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im very proud of you for going scrappy because I know that must have been a challenge for you. I like the circle block.

    How is the quilting on Hopscotch going?

    ReplyDelete
  8. keep going margaret......a couple of my friends are doing other amitie bom's and yes, there is an absolute cornucopia of fabric styles and patterns - certainly makes it interesting

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a good idea with the circle ! I eventually worked out my HS triangles :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post! I have that Henie blanket as well, but , like you am a little wary of starting it! LOL. Your circle is sew pretty. I would have machine pieced it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paper piecing hasn't been my friend in the past either! I think it is your fabric making the seams look wonky and not your actual piecing. The circle is fun--love that riot of different prints. Hope it earns some love from you as time goes on :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're clever with the paper piecing. I've done it once and found it quite hard to get my head around it. I'm hoping to give it another go later in the year.
    Can't seem to get myself into gear for sewing yet but with the cooler weather I might not be far off. Really like the circle thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your paper piecing looks great! I really love your circle!!! The fab combo of fabrics stopped me in my tracks, it funny you're not sure about it. I think it looks great! Interesting to hear about the voile, I guess that's a good thing about a BOM is that you try things you might not have tried. I hope you had fun with your pesky star flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so clever Marg. Looking forward to seeing your circles come together.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.