Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sewing and keeping dry

 It's raining here, which seems to be more often than not these days. Now I think I know what it must be like to live in the UK with endless days of rain, grey skies and blah weather. The only upside with all this crappy weather is that with nothing better to do, I sat and hand sewed the binding on South Pacific Stars aka Hopscotch quilt.  I was determined to finish this before the end of the month. At least it was nice to work on something bright and cheerful instead of looking at the rain pelting against the windows.

Until the weather improves I won't be able to take some decent photos of the full quilt.

A close up of the front and my minimal quilting I used Aurifil thread for the first time and I'm very impressed with it. I will be purchasing more, I much prefer it to Rasant thread.
Untitled


The back with a stray thread that I didn't see when I took the photo, sigh.
Untitled


The binding, it just had to be stripey.
Untitled




In  my ongoing quest to become more organised, (something that is highly unlikely to happen),  I found these containers, 12 inches square and about 1 1/2 inches deep.


They are the perfect size to store blocks I'm working on, especially the blocks for the Circle Game.

The A4 page pattern directions for the block doesn't quite fit flat in the container, but it does fit and  I can place all the pieces, the pattern, thread, needles and scissors together in there and it keeps the pieces nice and flat. Great for transporting hand piecing projects.




Last week in Brisbane I went to The Quilters Store and found some lovely flannel for the backing for the scooter baby quilt. I had already started to piece together a backing but when I saw this I just had to have it. I love flannel backing on baby quilts.

I like The Quilters Store, they have a huge range of fabric and they sell Aurifil thread too, yay.

On a final note, I mentioned the rain at the top of this post. As of today, since the 1st January we have had 1150mm (over 45 inches) of rain. That's over 1 metre in less than 2 months.  I live on the Sunshine Coast, ha, I think it should be renamed the Very Wet and Not Very Much Sunshine Coast. That's why I  originally named my blog Sunshine? Paradise? both words are questionable, especially this summer.

Edited to add: Can someone please tell me how facebook is the main referring website for this post? Can you let me know how by leaving a comment how you found this post please?  I have had more than triple the usual number of readers for this post.

24 comments:

  1. Looks like I didn't manage to bring the rain home with me, sorry! Love your quilting, can't wait for the full reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Queensland is beautiful one, perfect the next, isn't it? It feels like Queensland weather down here- very tropical, without the rain! Love the sneak peeks of the finished quilt! It's great to have a finish, isn't it! Stay dry! S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, here in the UK we should get special dispensation for never being able to get a decent outdoor quilt photo ;-) In January and February it hasn't even been blah weather, it's been absolutely freezing and very snowy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy quilting and organising. Sorry to hear that you are having such wet weather. Here it's a similar story. The rainy season should be over by now, but we still get thunder storms almost every day. And some days it just never stops raining. Good thing we have our quilting, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd think you had stolen our rain, only we are still getting lots too. Can't wait to see the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got it finished yippee! So waiting for the rain to stop also so we can see your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boo for the rain and I ma lookiong forward to the grand reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful (what I can see of it) and the striped binding is perfect. Sorry about the rain, but it'll make for greener green, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weather has been crazy lately! I'm glad you haven't been washed away. Congratulations on finishing your quilt, I love that bird backing fabric. That box is a great idea for your blocks and is waterproof in case you do get washed away. How cute is the flannel and it's the perfect match for your baby quilt, you'll have that quilt finished in a jiffy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What are the fabric you used or the back. I am smitten :)
    I'll trade some rain for our snow any day. I've had it with the snow, frost and darkness. Spring just can't come soon enough to these parts. Shouldn't complain though. Actually i took my first outside quilt picture since the autumn this afternoon so it is getting better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, err, you don't want to hear about the endless days of sunshine we've been having recently then? (albeit with accompanying freezing temps)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your weather hasnt been all that great of late. I thought the sun shone all the time in the great state of Queensland. But I guess the weather has meant you can sit inside and play with your quilting. Hopscotch is looking fantastic.

    Love your boxes...I feel so much better now that my projects have a home(although seeing them all lined up reminds me how many I have !)

    ReplyDelete
  13. way to go on getting organized!

    It's been rainy here, too, but cold on top of gloomy and rainy :( yuck.

    Hope the sun shines on you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! Rain, rain go away!!!! Love your quilt the colours are fabulous...love the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love stripey binding on a quilt, especially when it is cut on the bias and spirals down the edge. I really love all your bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the plastic container idea! And your sewing also of course !

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I lived on the Sunshine Coast many moons ago, It WAS the "Sunny Coast" with occasion bursts of rain or cloud, but now is should be the Cloudy Coast by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those contains look just the thing for projects. I love the colours in your hopscotch quilt, particular the stripy binding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aurifil featured you on their fb post, that's how I found you! wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, glad to know how the Facebook question got answered!

    Anyway, hand stitching is a lovely thing to do when the weather stinks. We have had very little rain so we will be the brown and dry coast very soon (BTW, this part of CA where I live is also known as the Gold Coast!)

    Hoping some actual sunshine and paradise happens soon for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi found your lastest blog entry on my facebook page..link thru aurifil threads site. Just luv the bright colours in your quilts, well done

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do love Aurifil thread....but I love your quilt even more. Are you getting a tad bit grumpy with the crappy weather? I figured a fine lady such as yourself could give Mother Nature the 'what for' and she give in and send some sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking forward to seeing your Hopscotch quilt, I love the backing fabric you picked. That flannel for the baby quilt is a great compliment to the front. You did really good this week and even added organization too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. loving the look of your hopscotch quilt - gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.