Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Organized - for today!



Somebody whose name starts with Q and ends in P, had a bet with me last night that I had lots more fabric than her. That was all the incentive I needed to clean up my fabric stash dumping ground, as I was positive I wouldn't have as much fabric as Mrs P. 

I don't! 

However I now have kind of neat/tidyish piles of fabric. Here it is in all it's glory. This will be the last time it is this tidy for another 6 months.


The top shelf, on the left are the solids, behind those are some Kaffe Fassett fat quarters I bought earlier in the year. I fondle these regularly but still haven't decided what to do with them. The solids are mainly half yards except for the two bags on top which are the Kona solids fat quarter bundles, pretty in pink and spice which just arrived this week. To the right of those are my charm squares, behind those, yardage (mostly 1/2 yd) of blue/green/greys.




On the left below are the 1/2 yds of orange/pinks/mauves/reds and black/white. To the right of that, all my layer cakes and on top left overs from layer cakes, and the Pure disappearing 9 patch quilt top. (And a mini iron)


The bottom shelf has the chenille and flannel quilt kit I bought earlier in the year, which I haven't started, and a box with all my Martinique fabric ready for when I make my next Martinique based quilt.
By the way, my mum loved her quilt and has asked me to make one for my dad, in the same fabric, so another quilt in Martinique but a more masculine feel,  no florals.  Even my sister liked it and has put in an order of a quilt for her **th birthday in 2 years.  I never ever thought they would want hand made quilts, so I feel pretty special this week!

On the right of the bottom shelf, yardage bought for backing.

My drawer stuffed full of jelly rolls. This is the only drawer with fabric in it, the top one has quilting books and the bottom one is empty.

An Ikea box full of fat quarters and some solids charm squares.

This box has been hiding the infamous snowball blocks and also the  scraps I used to make my first ever wonky log cabin block.

That's it. Even I was surprised how it all packed up nicely into this. I had visions of purchasing lots of storage boxes to hold it all once I had tidied up.  

So woo hoo now I can buy more fabric, yippeeeee. 

No not really, I have a couple of orders to come from the States, but I think I have more than enough to keep me going. It's just so tempting to keep on buying now that the good old Aussie dollar is so high against the U.S. dollar.


My latest sewing efforts have been using these lovely bright fabrics, Plume.



 A messy pile as I was sewing. This is the beginning of bitchypoo's quilt using 30 fat quarters, and the solids above.



 I love the blocks, I am just hoping when it is all put together it won't be too overpowering.

These are the left overs from the blocks which will be made into matching pillows/cushions/something!

6 comments:

  1. Seriously where is the rest of it stashed? In your secret sewing cave? Fabric girl.

    I must admit it does look lovely all tidied up and ordered. That my Miss Virgo speaking.

    I started counting yards in my stash last night and gave up at some obscene number.

    I'm still not convinced I have more than you and I certainly dont have as much as some. But remember the maxim "she who dies with the most fabric wins". Since Miss P doesnt have a clue about fabric and sewing she'd probably toss it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could open a small boutique! i like how the colors look lovely when you put them together (something in quilting i never could do well).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have more charm packs, layer cakes and jelly rolls than me!
    I wish my stash was that neat, its all jumbled up in plastic totes but I haven't got anywhere else to put it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Can I come play in your stash? Such tantalizing beauties in there. :-)

    Imo, you can never have too much stash. I yield to temptation whenever I can afford it.

    So cool that your family has requested quilts. I'm going to make on for each of my cousins and their spouses, but I'm not sure they're all quilt people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do envy you your ability to be so organised... really need to do something about mine....trouble is when there is a mess I remember where everything is but as soon as I tidy up I forget what I have got. My mess is threads, with a few fabrics thrown in. I keep fabrics in clear plastic boxes. because we live in a very dusty area.

    I like your bright quilt I think it will be lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Mrs. P are always into something! Why bother to count all your fabric, it makes it real then. I just stash it away and pretend I don't see it. I only leave a little out and then when I buy more I don't feel so guilty!

    Your fabrics are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.